EAN Prizes at ESCAIDE
About the EPIET Alumni Network prizes
During ESCAIDE, the EPIET Alumni Network (EAN), in collaboration with ECDC, organises a photo contest open to all conference attendees. The submitted photographs will be exhibited during the ESCAIDE conference. ESCAIDE participants will vote for the “best photo” during the conference.
The EAN also selects two presentations at ESCAIDE (one oral and one poster), which are most effective in transmitting a public health message. EAN awards them as “best oral” and “best poster” presentation at ESCAIDE. ECDC awards free registrations for the winners of the best oral and best poster presentations prizes for next year’s ESCAIDE.
An EAN Prize Committee judges the oral presentations. The Committee comprises EAN members that are not part of the graduating or current EPIET cohorts. Only presentations of submitted abstracts, which are the contributions in oral parallel sessions are eligible (i.e. plenary session presentations are excluded).The poster presentations were judged in 2018 by the conference attendees via an online voting system.
The winners of the “best photo”, “best oral” and “best poster” prize are awarded at the closing ceremony of ESCAIDE.
Special thanks to all ESCAIDE participants and the EAN Prize Committee judges for their valuable contributions!
For more information and feedback contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
EAN Prize winners from ESCAIDE 2017
Best oral presentation
Ummulkhulthum Bajoga, “Acute flaccid paralysis surveillance – Kaduna State, Nigeria 2011-2015
Best poster presentation:
Ulrike Baum, “Interactive vaccination coverage maps – a multipurpose tool for programme monitoring and health system development”
The winner of the 2017 EAN best photo contest is: "The gathering” by Susana Monge, Assamale, Chad
Date of the photograph : 12/08/2017
Description: Implementing population-based surveys in remote rural areas poses serious challenges to fulfill ethical requirements, such as informed consent, voluntary participation or confidentiality. Reliance on locals to identify the households, the need for guides and translators, the willingness of village chiefs and community leaders to be involved and the expectation around the exotic visitors, often result in the survey being a social event.
EAN Prize winners from ESCAIDE 2016
Best oral presentation:
Iro Evlampidou, “Refugees crisis in Europe: Health status, life experiences, and mental health problems of transiting refugees and migrants on the Balkan route in 2015”
- Cornelia C.H. Wielders, “Prevalence of and determinants for carriage of extended-spectrum Beta-lactamase and pAmpC-producing enterobacteriacea in the general population in a livestock-dense area”
- Lara Utsi, “Water cooler tank : Use of qualitative data in the investigation of a large norovirus outbreak”
- Agnes Hajdu, “The added value of participation in the newly launched European surveillance of Clostridium difficile infections : the case of Hungary”
- The winner of the 2015 EAN best photo contest is: “Le suivi est fini - The Bridge of Freedom” by Laura Reques, Tamaransy, Boké, Guinea.
Date of the photograph : 31/07/2015
Description: The little M.,K.& A. live in Tamaransy, a humble Guinean village that has become famous for summing 20 Ebola cases in one week. They have spent almost two months of “cerclage” contemplating how the heavy tank of international cooperation left small droplets of hope (a sack of rice, a colored clothing, a foreign smile), and waiting for their Thermoflash shoot every morning. This is the last day of quarantine. They are excited to cross the river. I look at them in the distance, free and pure, their idols on their back, letting the fresh water droplets refresh their faces, and I hope that on the other side of the bridge they find the path to their dreams.
EAN Prize winners from ESCAIDE 2015
Best oral presentation & best poster
Best oral presentation: Natasha Crowcroft, Public Health Ontario, Canada: A systematic review for the basic reproductive number for measles: implications for measles'
Best poster: Domino Determann, Erasmus MC: 'Future pandemics and vaccination: public opinion and attitudes across three European countries'
The winner of the 2015 EAN best photo contest is: ‘Hand in Hand’ by Alain Rakotoarisoa, Ministère de la Santé Publique, Madagascar.
Place: Antsirabe Madagascar
Description: Investigator and community worker walking hand in hand on a bridge,crossing a river to carry out investigations in a remote village
EAN Prize winners from ESCAIDE 2014
Best oral presentation & best poster
Best oral presentation: Evaluating implementation of polio vaccination and stool screening among Syrian asylum seekers, Germany, 2013/2014, Nadine Zeitlmann.
- Best poster: Effect of the pneumococcal conjugate vaccination programme on hospitalisation rates due to all-cause pneumonia and myringotomy with ventilation tube insertion, Ireland, 2005-2013, Margaret Fitzgerald.
The winner of the EAN best photo contest is the ‘P(PE)raying Circle’ by Nadine Zeitlmann.
- Place: Ebola Treatment Unit, Monrovia, Liberia.
- Description: A group of health care workers at the Ebola treatment unit at JFK Hospital in Monrovia Liberia who form a praying circle before entering the ward for their daily shift. For the purpose of recognizing each other, their first names are written on the PPE suit.